Object: collect as many gems as possible in your big cup (Kalah) on the end of the board. When either player has no remaining gems in their house cups the game ends.
- Start the game by placing four gems in each of the twelve house cups.
Note: There are six cups on each side of the board.
- You control the gems in your six house cups on your side of the board and your Kalah, the big cup at the end of the board to your right.
- Take turns picking up all the gems from any of the house cups on your side of the board and, moving counter-clockwise, place them one by one in the house cups and your own Kalah until no gems remain in your hand.
You get an extra turn if your last gem lands in your own Kalah.
- Capture your opponent's gems by placing your last gem in an empty cup on the opposite side of the board from your opponent's cup. These captured gems and your own final gem get added to your Kalah.
- If your opponent makes the first move at the start of a game you have the option of using the 'Pie Rule' . Rotate the board 180 degrees and take over your opponent's side of the board and his/her first move. Continue game play as described above.
Mancala requires a Windows, Linux, or Mac machine with Flash installed in the browser. If using a firewall, the firewall must be configured to permit outgoing connections. You should also be running a modern web browser such as Firefox 3.5+, Chrome, Safari, or IE 7+.